Monday, May 31, 2010

Life=Art, Art=Life


Dear Blog, it has been too long since I wrote in you. Here I am again, when the everyday has gotten to be too much and I once again must express myself or spontaneously combust.

"I would not cast out my illness, for there is much in my art that I owe it to."
Edward Munch

"I have put has my heart and soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process."
Vincent VanGogh

"You should keep on painting no matter how difficult it is, because this is all part of experience, and the more experience you have the better it is - unless it kills you, and then you know you have gone too far."
Alice Neal

Recently I wandered and wondered down a different path, and have once again been reminded that it's probably a good idea keep to the one thing that has held and sustained me my whole life. Growing up in a small Southern Baptist town taught me early on that artist as outsider is more the norm than the exception, and that being different is not something that is always respected or celebrated. This has been my reality for a long time, and most of the time I am at peace with it.

When I was young I wanted very badly to fit in with the kids at school, but never quite achieved it. Even now, I still secretly long (not so secretly now) to be accepted. Even more, for someone to see me and actually want to talk to me about life and art and be interested in what I have to say. Recent experience has once again demonstrated to me that my life is rich in many ways, but that I can't have everything (at least not all at once).

"Of all lies, art is the least untrue."
Gustave Flaubert

No comments:

Post a Comment